Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Love Dogs!

The past couple months I have been asking Dano about possibly getting another D-O-G. Not quite sure if I am ready for another child (although I need to get-on it and hurry up – I ain’t getting any younger) but I am ready for another DOG. I love dogs, they are sweet, loving and bring much cheer to a household. I have this vision that if we get another dog, the dog would want to emulate Cody James perfect behavior and be just like him and life would be perfect/good. Am I being naive? I think a little bit.

I can’t even imagine our house without Cody James. He’s our buddy, our Saturday morning annoyance, our protector – He’s our dog. Cody was a very high maintenance puppy, he needed a lot of training and constant guidance. He got into mischief and did bad things at times but I guess those were just Puppy growing pains. We all managed to survive and now he truly is the best dog.

It’s been almost two years since my Cleo girl passed and although it still pains me to think about her and how much joy she brought to us (our first baby), I think it’s time to bring another doggie addition into the family. I think our family needs another dog and Cody James a playmate.

Now, we just need to decide whether or not we want a PUPPY, a Lhasa or another Ridgeback, personally I would like another mini Lhasa Apso but Cleo was not very interested in LD so that might not be a good match. Another Ridgeback would be perfect because those doggies are A-W-E-S-O-M-E and love (oops,tolerate) raging toddlers but the training that has to go into a Ridgeback Puppy is endless, worth it but it’s a long grueling road.
Are we ready?

I have been looking into RR Rescue, definite option. I have faith that we can find a rescue dog, perfect for our family. I have always been very hesitant to get an older dog versus a puppy because you really don’t know what happened in that older dogs life? Was he abused? Is he social? You just never know. With a puppy, you defiantly know what you are getting and there is a bond, a special bond. Would there be a bond with the rescue dog, a bond like we have with Cody James? Will the dog be easier/harder to train due to his age and past experiences? These are all questions we need to answer before we make the big decision. There really is no impulse purchasing when it comes to a dog. You really need to know what you are getting yourself into.
What type of dog do you have and why is that dog so special to you? Did your dog come from a reputable breeder or did you get your dog from rescue? What was your experience? I want to know it all :)

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Aw, what a fun blog! Thanks for stopping by mine! Such cute pictures!!!

Liz Harrell said...

I came so close to getting a rescue dog.. a little part schnauzer that had been hit by a car and needed leg surgery. Matt was wise and suggested that we just give money for the surgery and NOT get another dog. :)

Mabel is an only child, I fear.